Tips For A Smooth Move
Planning is the key . . .
Even if your move is within the same general area, there are several actions that can expedite the procedure.
Use this checklist of items to help you through the transition of moving from one place to another.
- If you intend to use a moving company, make arrangements as soon as possible.
- A month before the move, fill out change of address forms for the post office, the IRS and any others that need to be notified, including families and friends.
- Don’t wait to tell your children about the move. The sooner they know the better. Children need time to adjust to the idea. Provide plenty of affirmation that the move is for the best.
- Notify doctors, dentists, veterinarian, and insurance agents. Obtain copies of important records. Fill prescriptions needed.
- Contact utilities, phone, and cable services regarding discontinuing services. Arrange for new services at new location.
- Make necessary financial arrangements, including transfer of accounts (checking, savings, other).
- Take inventory of your belongings before they’re packed in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or videotape your belongings.
- Secure valuables, jewelry, safe deposit box items, and important documents to take with you.
- Empty fluids from lawn equipment, hoses, etc.
- Dispose of anything flammable, including gas cans, paint cans, chemicals, etc.
- If necessary, make special arrangements for transporting pets. You can take cats and dogs in your car, but remember to put down newspapers or sheets to keep your car clean. Animals can get carsick and may require stops along the way, so take along a leash, food and water. Other small pets, such as birds and hamsters, can easily be taken in the car. Cover their cages to help keep them calm. It can be risky to move fish. Better get recommendations from your local pet store or other expert on how to move your type of fish.
- Plants also need special care. You should prune your plants a couple of weeks before the move to facilitate packing. Place the plants in cardboard containers with packing material to hold them in place. Use paper to cushion the leaves and place a wet paper on top to keep them moist. Mark the boxes and punch air holes in the top before loading into your car. Unpack the plants as soon as possible when you arrive. Remove plants through the bottom of the box to avoid breaking the steams.
- Pack for your personal move; clothing, linens, personal affects and items needed upon move-in.
- Empty refrigerator, clean and place baking soda inside to keep it smelling fresh.
About United Country Real Estate
United Country Real Estate is the leading, fully integrated network of conventional and auction real estate professionals specializing in lifestyle and rural real estate. The company has been an innovator in real estate marketing since 1925, with a unique, comprehensive advertising program. This exclusive program includes the highest ranked and largest portfolios of specialty lifestyle property marketing websites, unequaled national print advertising, the largest internal real estate advertising agency, an extensive buyer database of more than 650,000 opt-in buyers and additional proprietary programs to advertise properties more broadly.
2820 NW Barry Road
Kansas City, MO 64154
P: 816-420-6200 www.unitedcountry.com